Advertisement

Ja Morant is ready to play at Garden, however he ends up there

Ja Morant is ready to play at Garden, however he ends up there Ja Morant, who had never visited New York until a couple of weeks ago, was part of a panel at a Madison Avenue electronics store Tuesday, taking questions from fans.  One mentioned a list of exploits that have occurred at the Garden across the years, including 61-point games by Kobe Bryant and James Harden.  “What do you have in store for your first game at the Garden?” Morant was asked.  Laughter from the crowd then a pause, and the electric point guard said in his Southern drawl, “I guess ya got to come to the Garden and find out.’’  It was one of Morant’s boldest remarks Tuesday. Whether he gets his first Garden game as a Knick still is uncertain, with Memphis the favorite to snatch him at No. 2, one spot ahead of the Knicks’ pick.  Out of small-town Dalzell, SC, and small-school Murray State, Morant was whisked to appearances all day. The whirlwind is new after being essentially ignored until his sophomore season, when he averaged 24.6 points, 10.0 assists and 5.7 rebounds.  “I have the opportunity to put the state of South Carolina on the map,’’ Morant said on stage. “I feel like draft night will be emotional for me and my family. They got to see what I went through, going under the radar and having to be found in a back gym for someone looking for a concession stand. It’s crazy. Now I’m in the position I am right now.”  Morant was referencing the tale of his discovery by Murray State. A Murray State assistant attending an AAU combine went to a concession stand, heard the bouncing of the ball in an auxiliary gym and saw Morant by himself. He was entering his senior year of high school. The rest is history.  “It’s crazy for me,’’ Morant said of the draft glare. “Something I’m not used to. Being under the radar and now receiving all this attention, it’s crazy but something I looked for.  “I’m never satisfied. I still got a lot more to prove. I had a lot of doubters my whole life. Just continue to play with that chip on my shoulder.’’    Former Duke star and ESPN analyst Jay Williams hosted the panel that also included Pistons center Andre Drummond, Liberty star Kia Nurse and lottery pick Jarrett Culver. Williams asked Morant to talk about his father, Tee, who was in the audience.  Morant mentioned his father used to invite all the neighborhood kids to his backyard for a full day of basketball and barbecue. Even though Morant’s grown, the father still invites the neighborhood.  “Everyone is thinking it’s the dunks,’’ Morant said when asked by Williams his favorite moment ever on a basketball court. “But it’s my triple-double [against Marquette in the NCAA Tournament].’’  Morant has been careful since the lottery reveal regarding a preference for where he winds up. When asked Tuesday how he has enjoyed Manhattan now that he’s finally visited, Morant took to his stock answer. see also Pelicans' new draft plan could allow Ja Morant to fall to Knicks The Pelicans could still have a hand in the Knicks’...  “All my meetings were good and all

Basketball,ja morant,memphis grizzlies,nba draft,new york knicks,

Post a Comment

0 Comments